Saturday, May 21, 2016

And Now a Serious Word from John Hodgman

I don't think I've ever heard or read a serious word from John Hodgman's mouth or pen. But then, I guess I don't read his blog. Maybe he's serious there all the time.

He seems pretty serious in this post about Hillary Clinton, in which he makes some good points about her supposedly anomalous level of ambition, and also presents the case for incrementalism in American politics:

No one can succeed 100% of the time in our system. But I think she can foster policies that will capitalize on the initial gains made by President Obama, whom I supported and still do, and surely, if slowly, move our nation closer to the ideals that I embrace. 
Will it be fast? No. But there is a lot to do to shift the the nation’s policies back after the slow, economically rightward/socially intolerant swing that began with Ronald Reagan and peaked with the reelection of George W. Bush in 2004.

(A swing, by the way, that was patiently planned, deliberately funded, and slow by design. Major change is ALWAYS incremental. Unless you want to have a REAL revolution, with shooting and stuff. You might. I do not.) 
Helpful thoughts, John. Thanks.




1 comment:

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

Slow by design...interesting!