Sunday, November 22, 2015

Where to Put the Closets?

Another Sunday, another unnecessarily over-sized house plan in the Star Tribune Home section. But today I wanted to mention a trend I've been noticing for a while in these plans.


Note how the master suite's closets are on the far side of the master bathroom. You can't get to them without walking through the bathroom, essentially making the closets an extension of the bathroom rather than the bedroom.

Am I the only one who thinks that's a bad idea? It assumes that couples want to actively share the bathroom and dressing space at all times (except for that little door on the toilet area. Thanks for that). I know I'm generally not the person these bloated-home-builders have in mind, but I find it hard to believe this way of using a bathroom and dressing space is common among enough people that it would become the primary way of doing things.

What do you think?

5 comments:

Michael Leddy said...

I think I’m glad I don’t have such a house. :)

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

I prefer closets that open into the bedroom. But I'd love two sinks. :)

Gina said...

Yeah, I saw that floor plan, too. Most of the plans I don't like anyway, and this was no exception. I hadn't noticed the closets, though. I didn't like the master suite on the same side as the garage.

Barbara said...

I think all of their clothes are going to mildew from the humidity from the showers. Oh, wait, that's not the topic here.

The nurse when I was in the hospital in labor was appalled that I didn't want my husband to see me peeing, and actually said that there was something wrong with our marriage (15 years long at the time, 33 years now). So maybe a lot of married couples have given up on keeping a little mystery and romance in the relationship?

Plus, I really don't like doorknobs that I have to touch between eliminating and washing my hands. Bad enough in public restrooms, really bad in my own space. So I don't like that little toilet closet at all. With all these walls and double sinks, why not just build in his-and-hers bathrooms? That's what I would want in my McMansion.

Daughter Number Three said...

I was thinking the clothes might get mildewed, but then I decided they could build the house so that would be prevented.

Wow, Barbara, those are some judgmental nurses they have in your neck of the woods!